Food To Be Avoided By An Arthritis Patient
We are always told to maintain distance from fat-rich food and the obvious reason is that it is really unhealthy. It can make you obese and obesity brings along a bunch of ailments. Obesity puts more strain on your joints and causes inflammation in them. This makes you more prone to pain and this is the reason The Research Unit of Arthritis, UK, have describes fats as poison for arthritis patients. They recommend addition of certain vitamins and minerals to the daily diet and at the same time they recommend cutting down consumption of few foods.
Some of the foods to be included in your diet are as follows:
- Fried food –Fried food is not healthy for arthritis patient. Food fried in vegetable oil is rich in omega-6 fatty acid which canaggravate pain and inflammation in the joints. We understand that avoiding fried food completely can be tough. So, we recommend you to bring olive oil in use.
- Dairy products – There are specific proteins found in dairy products that cause inflammation. Some people have milk intolerance and they have antibodies to milk protein. The body forms these antibodies to protect itself from what it mistakenly perceives as a harmful substance, but the antibodies attack other parts of the body in addition to the milk.
- Red meat – Though red meat is a great source of iron and many other nutrients but it has also got arachidonic acid (omega-6 fatty acid) in it and that is how it can worsen the condition. Arthritis patients are recommended to limit the intake up to twice a week.
- Caffeinated drinks –Caffeinated drinks such as coffee or sugary drinks are an absolute NO. Many people feel acidic after drinking coffee. The reason behind this is the increment in the acidity of the blood. Acidity in the blood will eventually heighten the inflammation. The same is the case with sugary drinks. These drinks also raise the level of acidity in blood. Decaffeinated drinks also put you at risk. It is recommended to opt for herbal teas and juices except orange juice.
- Few vegetables – Tomatoes, potatoes and peppers can cause inflammation in the body and that is why doctors recommend them to be avoided by arthritis patient.